Sunday, July 28, 2013

123d beta 9 is not 123d designer, alternatives?

In my exploration in 3D modelling last year 2012, I've researched for a good CAD program below 1000$. It seemed that there are a lot of options like SketchUp, Autodesk, Alibre, FreeCad, and a lot more. Since I'm an EE, I mostly build simple and small cases or structures for electronics. Usually simple structures below 5x5x5cm's.

Please note that I'm using the applications for hobby usage only. 

So my time is limited to just several hours a week. I'm sure with certain applications you can make the best objects if you master the application thoroughly, however, I'm more looking for a quick fix where the application can be productive the very first few hours.

I've started with SketchUp (Free), moved on to Alibre (paid, below 1000$), then Autodesk 123d (free) beta 9 and now Cubify Invent (50$).



In this blog message, I want to share my thoughts on Cubify Invent, I've never worked with it and just installed the program. This blog message will serve as a simple logbook for the application, I hope it can be useful for someone.

First a short message about the past programs. 

SketchUp was such an easy program to work with, when you open the application for the first time, you can have build your very first 3d object in just a few minutes, that easy it is! But the application is not made for working on small objects, looks like it's more optimized for buildings.

Then I started with Alibre Design, but I've never ever finished the application. I just created some very simple shaped objects and that made me feel that the application is not the one that you can play well with in just a day, it has many features and options.

Then I came across Autodesk 123d beta 9. The application was very easy to learn and good tutorials where build in. It became productive within just a few hours playing. It was easy and it has a good interface. However, the application had some annoying bugs that caused the application to suddenly crash/close but this did not stopped me from using the program. I stopped using the program at the time that Autodesk decided to discontinue their beta and launch, under almost the same name, "123d design" as the replacement application. However, this 123d design was a very, very limited and stripped down version of the previous 123d beta 9 version. It became an useless application for me. Autodesk replied that this beta version was more like their Inventor Fusion 360, and yes, that one is a paid version where you have to pay for every month. I did not like that monthly costs part. This sucked a big time, I invested time in their program and suddenly they are taking it away from you. Well, that is something I've got to remind whenever I use "free" software.

So today, after some research, I will give Cubify Inventor a try.... I will let you know the results!

[edit 30minutes later]

First impressions is that the application has a very low learning curve.. I've already got my first 3d model that I can print now, and yes, the model is simple... but a very good solution for my project. 


Also preparing to transfer the model to my printer (leapfrog Creatr) was very easy. There is a build in "export" option that directly makes the STL file needed for my printer... lets print!



No comments:

Post a Comment